Friday, May 18, 2012


What Could It Be?


The search for boot/trunk leaks continues.  What could it be?  There are only 4 things, if that’s not enough, which could cause water to get into it.  First is a bad seal around the boot/trunk lid, but that is relatively new and upon inspection appears to be in good condition.  The others are where the metal skin of the boot lid is pieced by an outside fixture.  In my case those are the MG emblem, the luggage rack mounting points and the lock mechanism.  Most of these are common to all MGB Tourer/Roadsters.

I’ve had trouble with the luggage rack mounting points before and with the last removal and re-assembly used clear RTV sealant around the edges and in the screw pockets.  I wonder if the sealant could have aged and caused a leak?  RTV is supposed to have excellent UV resistance, but over time it could have degraded.  I will check there first, I think since it is the most probable leak point.

I also noticed two things about the seal area.  One thing is that there is a distinct difference between the Tourer/Roadster and the GT sealing method.  Oh, I guess I forgot to tell you about my GT; maybe another time.  Anyway the GT hatch utilizes an inner and outer seal, one mounted to the body just like the Tourer/Roadster, and a second mounted to the hatch itself.  My GT NEVER leaks in the hatch area. Could the second seal be the answer?  I will investigate this more.

The other thing is the metal mounting flange where the seal mounts on the T/R (tourer/roadster, I’m tired of typing the whole thing already).  All around the opening it stands proud and accepts the seal with a channel snap fit, quite nice.  Except at the bottom near the latch mechanism where it appears to be flattened by years of opening and closing the lid.  Peeling back the seal and prying it up with channel lock pliers allows the seal to better meet the space in the lid where it is supposed to rest.  Maybe this is the leak!  Further testing and I’ll let you know.

SF

No comments:

Post a Comment